Travel & Leisure Magazine in January published a slide show on its 10 “Worst-Case” Travel Disasters, and cited U.S. Travel Insurance Association statistics showing more than 67 million Americans in 2006 spent $1.3 billion trying to protect against them.
Here is a rundown of Travel & Leisure’s 10 worst situations (in quotes below) and the corresponding Travel Insured WTP coverage or service that addresses them.
1. “hurricanes and natural disasters”: Trip Cancellation in all Worldwide Trip Protector plans includes coverage for these events.
2. “pirates”: all Travel Insured WTP plans include Trip Interruption coverage due to either a hijacking or an act declared to be terrorism by the U.S. State Department.
3. “scam artists, especially credit card frauds”: ID Theft Recovery Assistance, included with our WTP signature comprehensive and WTP Gold plans, helps your client with recovery of credit after being a victim of fraud .
4. “getting frighteningly lost”: Travel Insured’s Worldwide Emergency Assistance, included in every WTP plan, helps lost clients with directions or hotel bookings.
5. “airline bankruptcy:” All WTP plans, except for WTP Lite, include Trip Cancellation / Interruption coverage for travel supplier defaults or bankruptcies.
6. “Emergency medical evacuation to substandard facilities:” Emergency Medical Evacuation, and Emergency Medical Assistance, included in all WTP plans, covers MedEvac from a destination to appropriate medical treatment by U.S. standards.
7. “Lost passport:” Our Worldwide Emergency Assistance, available 24/7 from anywhere, provides access to passport replacement assistance with every WTP plan.
8. “Being stranded without cash:” Our Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance can also arrange for an emergency cash advance.
9. “Medical Emergency in an aircraft, especially on an overwater flight:” Emergency Medical Evacuation, and Emergency Medical Assistance, included in all WTP plans, provides for the MedEvac to appropriate medical treatment by U.S. standards.
10. “Being arrested for unwittingly breaking the law.” Travel Insured’s Worldwide Emergency Assistance, included in every WTP plan, can arrange bail bonds and needed legal referrals.